11 Cleaning Tips for a Guest Ready Home
With Christmas around the corner, you probably have guests ready to storm your home. If you’re like me, a clean home is the most important when guests come. I understand the mantra of “this home is lived in so pardon the mess” as I typically abide by this. However, having other people stay at my house makes me need to clean it so then it can become messy again and it’s part their mess therefore they are comfortable in it.
Cleaning Tips to Get Your Home Guest Ready
- Walk your house with visitor eyes, notice what is out of the ordinary, what does not belong in each particular room.
- Clutter control– attack your clutter hot spots and reduce them to something manageable. If you don’t have time to put everything in it’s right place, straighten the area, make neat piles and straight lines to reduce the look of clutter.
- Deep clean bathroom– I sometimes pretend Oprah or some other celebrity is going to be visiting my home and that really makes me scrub every nook and cranny. The bathroom is the one place I do not skimp on for cleaning because I want my guest to not feel grossed out in a place they are supposed to clean themselves in.
- Pick up extra toiletries in travel sizes. Stock the guest bathroom with extra razors, toothbrushes, toothpaste and hair products. Since traveling liquids is such a pain, especially for flying, make sure the essentials are there so when they hop in the shower they don’t have to worry that there’s no shampoo.
- Make room in the fridge- You’ll be feeding extra people and will need the extra space for more food. Now will be a great time to throw out expired food and nearly empty condiment bottles.
- Deodorize– I know that my house smells sometimes and making your house smell fresh and clean is a great way to welcome them into your home instead of letting them know you went to the gym three days ago. 🙂
- Have fresh, clean towels– Pull out your fluffy towels for the guests and have them folded nicely in the bathroom for them, so they don’t have to go hunting for them; unless you like people snooping in your linen closet with your perfectly folded things.
- Sweep front porch- Clear the leaves and any creepy crawlies.
- Dust electronics, unless you like it when your guest leave you messages or pictures on the TV screen.
- Fresh sheets– There’s nothing like climbing into a freshly made bed after a long day of traveling.
- Extra electronic chargers- Now that we practically can’t function without screens and many of us share brands of electronics, place an extra charger and cord in the guest room just in case they forget their own. I forgot mine over Thanksgiving and it was so nice that my in-laws had an extra one I could use.
You can clean your house until it is completely perfect, or enough that most everything is in its place, but you can tell people actually live there. My biggest rule is to make sure guests will feel comfortable in my home and not have to worry about cleanliness.
What are your steps to get the house ready for guests?
You might also like: