I am so excited to go on vacation next week, like really, really excited. I love traveling, seeing sights and escaping from the real world just for a little bit. But before I go on vacation, I clean the house to near perfection. Why? Because afterwards I don’t want to do anything except relax and recover, so I clean before the vacation. When I haven’t cleaned before a trip, I feel stressed seeing piles needing attention when I get back. It’s nice having clean clothes to wear, a freshly made bed to sleep in and fluffy towels after a shower. After traveling, I dump my things in the laundry room, kick off my shoes and find a cozy spot on the couch.
5 Things to Clean Before a Vacation
Most of my vacations have ended on a late Sunday evenings and I don’t have time to prep everything for the new week, so I simply need clean before I leave.
- Clean the Bathroom: If you’re like me, one of the first things you do when you get home is use the bathroom. I am not particularly fond of using the bathrooms on the plane or gas stations along the interstate; ridiculously small spaces and bugs are not my thing. And I always feel super gross after traveling and want to shower to get all of the travel off. Therefore a clean bathroom is a nice, welcoming place to degrossify.
- Pick up the Living Room: After travelling I’m in no mood to put stuff away. I use the living room as a dumping ground to hold the luggage, souvenirs, purses, snacks and everything else until I feel like putting them away. It’s nice have a large clean space to unpack luggage and immediate start sorting piles of laundry. That and not stepping on a rouge Lego.
- Do the Dishes: After a diet of candy, soda, chips and fast food for a day, finding and using real dishes to eat real food whatever is in the fridge is just plain nice. Even if it is just a bowl of cereal (the only reason airport food tastes good is because you’re tired and desperate). Also, food is harder to get off after it’s been sitting for a few days and it starts to stink.
- Do the Laundry: I like clean clothes before, during and especially after a trip. I pack just enough clothes for the trip so then I have a few outfits after so I don’t need to do laundry immediately to survive. Oh, and nothing is better than a freshly made bed with crisp sheets and clean, fluffy towels. ‘Nuf said.
- Clean the Bedroom: Help your mind settle after a trip with a clean room. Just looking at a freshly made bed is relaxing but sleeping in one is even better. I find it nice to not have to fight the path to my bed then throwing stuff off of it.
It maybe a hassle to do theses things before but for me, it is necessary for my mental sanity. A clean home helps me to relax back into my regular routine and start the new week.
What do you clean before a vacation?
Tagsappliance cleaning baking soda bathroom bathroom cleaning bathtub carpet cleaning clean home cleaning cleaning blog cleaning diy cleaning supplies cleaning tips dish soap DIY diy cleaning dryer easy eco friendly glass cleaner green green cleaning green cleaning tips green living Holidays home & garden home and garden home care home cleaning Hydrogen peroxide Kitchen laundry Living Room microfiber mildew Soap spring cleaning stain removal Stains Tips tutorial vacuuming vinegar washer water wax